Leadership as it goes- it’s not a designation or title. It’s the way of leading and showing the path to your teams. It’s not something which is cascaded or built upon, it’s natural and leaders are born to lead. The leadership style that you exhibit as a leader has a direct correlation to your results and the health of your business.
An autocratic or authoritative style of leadership might deliver and give you good results in short term. However, it hampers long term and sustained growth as it affects the team’s performing and ideation capabilities.
Some examples of such type of leadership, which should be avoided as it, will have a negative impact on the overall health of your business:
· If the leader is poking nose in everything what teams are doing. It has to be participative form with leader leading
· Not sharing business information or the way ahead builds non performing teams as employees do not trust the leader and things are not transparent
· Cornering someone in a team meeting or outside is another aspect to be avoided
· Raising pitch/tone or sharing feedback in front of others does not build trust and invites disrespect- A big No!
· Micro managing work and teams
· Not sharing constructive feedback
· Not providing solution to problems is not what leadership is about
Leadership does not come with seniority or large teams that you manage. It comes with maturity, perseverance and brews from the team that you lead.
In a longer run, the health of the business goes down as the performing teams become disengaged from the vision of the person who manages those teams. The leader looses the value of the position she/he is supposed to lead.
Few signs which might give you an indication of such a problem in your business:
· Employees not willing to share issues with you/management
· Increase in back office/corridor talks
· Increase in attrition
· Challenge to retain your trained pool as they look for new opportunities
· Use of social media platforms by employees to vent anger as status messages
· Ideation stops in the team
· Anonymous concerns being raised through emails
It’s important to keep a check on leadership and the people practices to ensure the health of heart (people), soul (values) and mind (processes) of the business.